The Catholic Chic is a personal and faith-based blog on the life of a Catholic woman in the modern world.

Tuesday, August 26, 2014

Fasting Fridays

Jesus answered, "It is written: 'Man shall not live 
on bread alone, 
but on every word that comes from the mouth of God.'"
- Matt 4:4

Many oppressive events fostering religious hate have been happening around the world. Reading about them bring me much grief as a Catholic. I have been praying specifically for all the victims of the terrorist group, ISIS/Islamic state/ISIL in Iraq and against the satanic black mass booked for September 21 in Oklahoma.

I shared my concerns with my husband and he encouraged me to fast in addition to praying about these events. 

Honestly, I have not fasted for quite a while now so I decided to give it a go. I understand that the Archbishop of Oklahoma has also encouraged Catholics around the world to go on a fast to counter the advances of satanists in Oklahoma.

My husband guided me in my fasting and he instructed me how he does his own fasting so I could follow suit. He usually fasts on the first Wednesday of the month and eats only bread. His personal commitment to go fasting was encouraged by a Christian movement called e5MEN (See website here). Members of the e5MEN fast as a sacrifice for the women in their lives. Guys, if you haven't heard of them, please check out their website. 

Image from greggs.co.uk


Like my husband, I decided to go on a bread and water fast. I chose to fast on a Friday and my husband was very supportive to fast with me.

"The penitential days and times in the universal Church are every Friday of the whole year and the season of Lent." 
- Can. 1250, 1983 Code of Canon Law

I was surprised to learn that Catholics are called to fast every Friday as stated in the Canon Law of 1983. I am thinking of doing this fast again next Friday. I pray to God I can do it. Please pray for me. :)

My realizations after Fasting

1. The devil will come and do his best to ruin your fast.

If you're fasting to combat evil, chances are, he will come to make it harder for you.

Honestly, when noon time came, I was becoming quite hungry and I was already craving for something to eat other than bread. Many food items were passed to my table such as biscuits and cake by my friends but I resisted. 

When I got home for dinner, the food on the table was Sinigang na Baka - my favorite Filipino beef stew dish. I was astounded that among all the days they decided to cook my favorite today! Again, I prayed and resisted.

I knew at that moment, something was trying to pull me down and stop my fast.

2. The devil can be defeated.

I asked myself, why of all days did they cook my fave today?! But then it seems like the devil was telling me, "Do you think I'll let you succeed that easily?" I realized, if evil wants to give me a fight, then I will fight. Thankfully, I was able to complete my fast through prayers. I won with Christ.

So basically, if you want to fast for something, be prepared for all the temptations coming your way. But always fight because the devil can be defeated.

3. Fasting is powerful.

In the gospel of Matthew, it was narrated that Jesus fasted for 40 days and 40 nights. After fasting, His body was weak because He was hungry but His Spirit was stronger than ever which allowed Him to resist the three-time temptation of the devil. Even Christ, our God, fasted. So should we.

After fasting, I realized that I had more control over my desires, cravings, and emotions. I felt I was more spiritually focused and I had self-discipline. 

The next day, I felt God answer my prayers when I learned that the satanists who stole the blessed Host (to be used in their black mass) returned it to the Archbishop of Oklahoma. 

The words of St. John Chrysostom holds true:

"We have this fast too as an ally, and as an assistant in this good intercession." 
- St. John Chrysostom



Truly if you devote your fasting to God with prayer, you'll be able to come out from it maybe with a weaker body, but definitely a stronger spirit. This exercise of fasting was an epiphany for me that I am capable of suffering and self-control. I praise God for that!

I pray that in every fasting you'll undertake, the Holy Spirit will guide you through.

Yours in Christ,

The Catholic Chic

No comments:

Post a Comment